There is a love-hate relationship with my baking. 70% of the time, it turns out different to what I expected. I’d want to make it again until what I have in front of me is reconciled with that picture in my imagination.
Then, when I do perfect and fall in love with a recipe, I go on a compulsive baking binge.
I love this sponge cake recipe – it’s so adaptable to every occasion, or whatever is in your fridge for toppings. Try adding 2 heaped tbsps of matcha powder or freeze-dried fruit powder. Or changing the milk to coconut milk.
Recipe for Cecilia’s favourite spongecake
- 4 eggs
- 60ml milk
- 80g cake flour (what is cake flour?)
- 90g castor sugar
- 40ml oil
- 20g corn flour
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Whisk the egg yolks with 20g of castor sugar
- Add in oil and milk
- Sift in the cake flour and corn flour to combine
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar and gradually add in rest of the castor sugar. Beat until it reaches soft peaks, not stiff peaks! This is crucial for the delightful cottony soft and moist texture
- Gently fold the egg white into the yolk mixture until well-combined
- Pour into the prepared baking tin
- Bake for 20min at 170°C
- Decorate with whipped cream and fruit or however as desired
Enjoy! Tag @ultimateomnoms on Instagram if you use this recipe – I’d love to see your magical creations.