Ube ice cream can be hard to find in Auckland. Whenever I find some, I tell my nearest and dearest to stock up. During lockdown, I developed this recipe to use up my expiring cream. There’s no way to freeze fresh cream but there’s nothing preventing you from turning the cream into something else!
The deep flavours from this ice cream comes from the ube halaya and ube extract. There’s no need to add extra purple food colouring as the ube halaya and ube extract comes preloaded with enough colouring. The best part of this recipe? It only needs 5 ingredients and only has 4 steps! Try it out and change the ratio as you need to depending on the ingredients you have in your pantry.
- 325 ml cream
- 180 g condensed milk
- 2.5 tsp ube extract
- 100 g ube halaya (ube jam)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl until fully incorporated
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the bowl with ube ingredients
- Pour into container to freeze overnight