To create the textured look on the tree trunk cake, it is deceptively easy! Personally, it was a nice change not having to make buttercream to create super smooth sharp edges. And all you need is cream and dark chocolate to make the chocolate ganache.
I used a toothpick to draw the bark-like texture on the side of the tree stump. First draw out some circles, then work outwards around it. Alternatively, you can use a fork to draw out the patterns faster.
Last but not least, I dusted some black food colouring powder to add dimension to the cake. This is entirely optional but I thought it was an easy but effective touch.
Save this recipe for your next show stopper creation. Make sure you tag your baking with @ultimateomnoms on Instagram so I can give you a shoutout!
Tree Stump Cake Ganache
- 120 g heavy cream
- 150 g dark chocolate (chopped)
- Heat the cream on a stove until small bubbles form.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and wait for a minute.
- Whisk together until creamy and smooth.
- Wait for it thicken a little before spreading on the cake.
- Put cake in the fridge to set the ganache for 10min.
- This is the fun part! Use a toothpick to create the bark pattern on the side.
- With a paintbrush, dust a little black food colouring powder to add detail on the tree trunk.