Turn rice into bread! Can you believe you can make a whole loaf of bread using rice? That’s right – not even using a spoon of flour. It’s naturally gluten-free so it’s perfect as an alternative to dense gluten-free loaves on supermarket shelves.
When I first saw the George Lee make this on Instagram, I was enamoured with how soft and squishy the loaf was! It was truly the softest gluten-free bread I had seen.
There are two keys to making this magical blender rice bread:
- Soak your rice grains overnight before blending
- Use a super powerful blender
If you don’t have a high power blender, make sure to blitz your rice grains in intervals and give your blender a break when it gets hot.
Check out my IG reel of the process – it’s really simple. Put all the ingredients in the blender and blitz away.
Here is my adaption of his recipe, adding pandan extract to make the bread more fragrant. Give it a go and make sure you tag @ultimateomnoms on Instagram so I can share and give you a shoutout!
Pandan blender rice bread
- 360 g short grain rice
- 240 g water
- 45 g vegetable oil
- 6 g salt
- 25 g brown sugar
- 7 g
- 1 tsp pandan extract
- Wash the rice and soak overnight
- Drain the rice and put all the ingredients into the blender
- Blend until it resembles a thick paste. The batter should be around 40C
- Pour into a lined loaf tin
- Spritz with water on top and leave to proof at 40C
- After about an hour, bake at 190C for about 40min
- Once baked, leave to cool on a wire rack
- Enjoy while soft but it’s delicious toasted the next day. Crispy on the outside, and soft and mochi on the inside