These mochi cookies are irresistible! You can make them filled or unfilled depending on your tastes and preferences. You can create any flavour of mochi using freeze dried fruit powder. I added Fresh As strawberry powder to create the strawberry mochi. Starting off with a teaspoon, keep adding to taste. And because the colour of the mochi turned a ghastly pink grey tone, I added a drop of pink food colouring.
Go crazy with the potential combinations! For your inspiration, here’s a snippet of the combos I’ve made:
Mochi cookie flavour combos:
- Matcha > strawberry mochi > chocolate block
- Matcha > regular mochi > red bean paste
- Matcha > regular mochi > black sesame paste
- Chocolate > strawberry mochi > chocolate block
- Chocolate > regular mochi > peanut butter
- Chocolate > strawberry mochi > strawberry jam
TIP: The strawberry jam and peanut butter does get messy so I recommended freezing it first into little balls, and use food-grade gloves to roll the mochi. It’s a lifesaver!
Top it off with chocolate chip drops, or I’ve added crushed cornflake crunch for a nostalgic twist.
You can even try this biscoff mochi cookie recipe for a hidden dollop of biscoff spread inside the cookie. It is SO good!
Give this recipe a go! I love this recipe base even without the mochi. Remember to tag @ultimateomnoms on Instagram so I can see your creations and give you a shoutout!
- 180 g standard flour
- 100 g unsalted butter (softened)
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 20 g cocoa powder OR 2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g chocolate chips to garnish
- 70 g glutinous rice flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 140 g milk
- 15 g castor sugar
- 15 g unsalted butter
- Chocolate/peanut butter/red bean paste/black sesame paste
- Cream together the sugar and butter
- Add the egg and mix until combined
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder/matcha powder and baking powder
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined
- Cover with gladwrap and chill in the fridge for 30min
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl, except for the butter
- Microwave for 1 min, take it out and mix. Microwave for another 1min until the liquid is gone
- While hot, mix in the butter until combined
- Set aside to cool
Put it together
- Roll approx. 20g pieces of cookie dough into balls and flatten using your palm. (26g if making it with inner filling) Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used up.
- Roll approx. 10g pieces of mochi into small balls. (15g if making it with inner filling). Repeat until all the mochi has been used up. If you use gloves, it'll make it a lot easier here!
- Add any mochi fillings inside – eg. chocolate/red bean paste
- Place the mochi ball in the middle of the flattened cookie. Pinch the sides of the cookie dough together and roll into a smooth ball
- Gently flatten the mochi cookie dough using your palm once on the baking tray
- Add chocolate chips on top of the cookies