Usually I use Italian meringue buttercream for piping cake designs but I MUCH prefer eating mascarpone whipped cream. It’s got such a lovely creamy consistency that melts in the mouth with a soft sponge. Unlike meringue icing recipes that need a TON of butter and the use of a stove, all you need is 4 ingredients and a mixer! It’s a game changer because not only does it taste great, it’s stable enough to be piped into flowers.
I prefer using mascarpone whipped cream over pure whipped cream icing because it’s more stable and forgiving. To my delight, the flowers stayed piped on the side of the cake without a problem!
Some tips from my learning:
- Add your colouring before whipping the cream and mascarpone cheese to avoid a grainy texture from over whipping if you add it at the end
- If it gets grainy, drizzle a little unwhipped fresh cream to the mascarpone and gently whip to turn it back to smooth lusciousness
The sponge I used for this cake is a simple sponge cake recipe that is my go-to. I love using it when I know I can use the time saved on decorating the cake instead.
Give the recipe a go in your next baking adventure. Make sure you tag your beautiful creation with @ultimateomnoms on Instagram so I can give you a shoutout!
Mascarpone Whipped Cream Recipe
- 300 ml fresh cream (cold)
- 30 g icing sugar
- 250 g mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whip the fresh cream icing sugar until soft peaks
- Add the mascarpone cream and mix until stiff
- It's ready to be used!