Korean corndogs were one of the things I really craved during lockdown. Frankfurters wrapped in a duvet of slightly sweet batter, then deep fried to crispy perfection. Makes me salivate just thinking about it! Luckily it’s not too hard for make at home using ingredients already in the pantry.
Add a sprinkling of castor sugar on top, and you’ve got yourself a sweet deal.
For cheeselovers like myself, the most exciting part is biting into the mozzarella cheese and seeing how far it’ll stretch. YUM!
If you tried this recipe, make sure you tag your creation with @ultimateomnoms on Instagram so I can give you a shoutout!
- 6-8 precooked sausages like frankfurters
- 200 g mozzarella cheese cut into sticks
- 60 g panko breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- 3-4 wooden disposable chopsticks as skewers
- Castor sugar for dusting if desired
- Ketchup and mustard as condiments
- 150 g standard flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 25 g castor sugar
- 125 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pat the sausages and cheese sticks dry
- Skewer the sausages or mozzarella cheese (or go half sausage half cheese) with the chopsticks
- Prepare the batter. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together
- Add in the milk and the egg and whisk until smooth. The batter should be thick! If it is runny add more flour, one tbsp at a time until it thickens. The consistency is important to make sure the batter stays on the sausage
- Pour the panko crumbs on a plate
- Dip the skewered sausages/cheese into the batter then fully coat with panko crumbs
- Fry the skewers until golden brown
- Sprinkle it with sugar and add ketchup and mustard as desired.