Edible rocks add so much character for cakes. It creates an instant wow factor – especially because they are so realistic looking!
I’ve bought candy rocks before but they can be very pricy. They’re often hard and not very nice to eat at all. Luckily this recipe for edible rocks only uses 5 ingredients and is super easy to make at home.
The fun part is rolling them into different sizes! The oreo crumb creates texture and speckles of colour like you would find on real rocks. I used a tiny drop of red food colouring to make the rocks pink for variation. If you’d like, you can keep the rocks grey and just use varying amounts of oreo crumb to make different tones of grey/brown.
The edible rocks worked a treat on the succulent cake. It filled in the empty spaces perfectly. I also used them for my forest cake. You can check out this recipe on how to create the sugar dome for this cake.
Give this recipe a go! It’s super fun. Make sure you tag your creation with @ultimateomnoms on Instagram so I can give you a shoutout!
- 65 g condensed milk
- 110 g white chocolate
- 1-2 oreos (finely crushed)
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- red food colouring
- On a stovetop, heat the white chocolate with condensed milk until mostly melted
- Remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate is fully melted
- Add in ½ of the oreo crumbs and mix together
- Use 3 different bowls and add differing amounts of the oreo crumbs, cocoa powder or red food colouring to create different looks
- Press gladwrap on top of the chocolate and allow to cool for 30 minutes
- When no longer sticky, this is the fun part! Roll into different sized balls and shapes. Allow them to fully set for about an hour.