Bunny cupcakes are the cutest for Easter! Especially when you don’t need any extra kitchen equipment to make it bunny-shaped. All you need is aluminium foil.
Last Easter, I made these Easter cupcakes. They were so fun to make, especially having an excuse to use the snowskin bunny mooncake recipe outside of Mid-Autumn festival.
This year I had some leftover biscoff buttercream and wanted to use it on cupcakes to celebrate Easter. The best part? Working this baking hack to make my cupcakes bunny shaped:
Who knew that aluminium foil could be used so creatively! The rest of the decorating was easy. Mix different colours into the buttercream and pipe away.
This has to be one of my favourite baking hacks. You can make these bunny cupcakes anytime – you don’t have to wait for Easter to try it out.
Give this bunny cupcake hack a go! Tag your cupcake creations with @ultimateomnoms on Instagram, I’d love to see it and give you a shoutout. If you need a delicious icing recipe that’s not too sweet, try the biscoff Italian meringue icing below.
Biscoff Italian meringue buttercream
- 280 g castor sugar
- 115 ml water
- 4 eggs
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 340 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup biscoff spread
- In a saucepan, mix half the sugar with the water over medium, stirring until the sugar dissolves
- As your sugar is heating to 110ºC, start to whip the egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar.
- When the egg white starts to get frothy, slowly add the rest of the sugar in two batches to ensure the meringue doesn't deflate
- Keep heating the sugar syrup until it reaches 110ºC. By then the egg whites should reach stiff peaks
- With the mixer on high, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl of egg white meringue
- Keep whipping until it forms a stiff peak
- Feel the bottom of the bowl, wait if it is still hot. Change to the paddle attachment.
- Only when it feels slightly warm, start adding the butter cubes, one by one. Make sure
- Continue beating the buttercream until smooth – keep going even when it looks curdled. It’ll come together I promise!
- Once smooth, add the biscoff spread and keep beating until fully incorporated. The meringue icing will be luscious!