Published on July 28th, 2016 | by Ultimate OmNoms1
Baking Science: Cake flour
When a recipe calls for cake flour..they mean cake flour.
I made this mistake when I was following a recipe from a Youtube video, and being the super efficient (lazy) person I am, I scrolled down the comments to see if cake flour was the same as standard flour. People commented that it was.
I didn’t realise this until I made a batch of cake flour and tested this on the same recipe.
The protein content is the difference. Standard flour has about 10-11% protein content compared to 8% in cake flour. Less gluten forms when it is mixed into a batter which gives a more soft and tender cake.
Luckily for me, the recipe is easy.
1 cup standard flour – 2 Tbsps flour + 2 Tbsps cornstarch = 1 cup cake flour.
Sift the flour with the cornstarch 5 times to make sure it is well incorporated and produces a nice fine crumb.
..and the result
Scroll down for the recipe for the matcha cream cheese cake.
Recipe for mini matcha cake (makes 8 mini cakes)
6 egg whites
220g castor sugar
6 egg yolks
200g cake flour
20g matcha powder
60g butter (melted)
- Whip egg whites until foamy, then add in castor sugar. Continue mixing until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Mix in the egg yolks but be careful not to overmix the air out of the egg whites.
- Fold in the cake flour and matcha powder
- Fold in the butter and milk.
- Pour batter into a flat pan and bake for 20min
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
500g heavy whipping cream
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 ½ cups icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whip whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, cream the cream cheese and icing sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla extract.
- Fold heavy whipping cream into cream cheese.