Published on January 22nd, 2018 | by Ultimate OmNoms0
One bowl banana bread (child-friendly)
From the fool-proof chocolate cake recipe, tested and tried with little hands in class, comes another recipe in the school series. Just for parents to rejoice the end of school holidays. And to psych myself up instead of lamenting the start of school. I love kids, I really do.
The inspiration for my cooking electives often comes from the donated fruits in our fruit bucket, which our school is very lucky to receive. I’m a huge believer in using whatever is in the pantry so whenever I see bananas, I always whisper to the fruit monitors to leave a couple in the kitchen.
Banana bread is very easy to make, although you will need a mixer to cream the butter. Just for extra fun I decided to add caramel buttercream with a drizzle of caramel on top. Don’t worry, the buttercream is easy. I use bottled caramel sauce or if you’re leaning to the fancy side, you can use salted caramel.
One bowl banana bread
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 250g butter (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy
- Add in the eggs, one at a time
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon
- Add the milk
- Mix in the bananas and walnuts
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin
- Bake for one hour or until skewer comes out clean
- Beat the butter until light and creamy
- Add the caramel sauce and vanilla extract, making sure to scrap down the sides as needed.
- With the beater on low, add the icing sugar and salt
- Increase the speed and beat until smooth and light
Easy for the lunchbox or as a fresh afternoon school snack. You can add less sugar depending on the tastebuds. Tag @ultimateomnoms on Instagram if you use this – I’d love to see how you use the recipe.